Coordination of School Library Media Programs & Services Rutgers University /SC&I/PDS 17:610:510 3 cr.
COURSE DESCRIPTION: An overview of the functions and services of the K-12 school library media center and the roles and responsibilities of the building-level library media specialist. Topics addressed in this course include:
- the library media center as both a physical place and educational institution;
- organization and coordination of library media programs, resources and instruction to develop information literacy skills for K-12 students;
- professional resources and organizations for library media specialists;
- strategies for promoting library use and support within the school and community;
- standards and policies at the local, state and national levels.
This course is designed to help you develop a solid foundation of knowledge about how to manage an effective LMC program on your own. Our focus is on the pragmatic skills and strategies necessary to manage the job responsibilities of a school librarian in charge of a One-Person-Library (OPL) program in a single building with minimal-to-adequate funding.